The Samsung Gear 360 camera is a cute little panoramic camera that works surprisingly well for very quickly capturing monoscopic panoramas. By default, this camera works with an app available only on Samsung Android phones. However, using the Google Street View app, you can use the camera with other devices, including most Android phones and iPhones.
Here are the steps for Samsung Android phones:
- Install the Samsung Gear 360 app.
- Click "Connect to Gear 360".
- Follow the instructions on the lower half of your screen to pair with and use the Gear 360.
Here are the steps for non-Samsung Android phones and iPhones (with screenshots specifically for the iPhone). As of this writing, there is also a YouTube video that shows these steps:
- Install the Google Street View app.
- If you need to to enter a passcode, the code should be displayed on the small top screen of the Gear 360.
- It is best if the Samsung Gear 360 is level when taking a picture. Viewing panoramas that are tilted is a less than optimal experience.
- The Gear 360 uses two camera to produce a 360 image. The stitching of these two images is quite good although you may see some artifacts if objects are too close to the camera and aligned with the seam between the two camera. For best results, close objects should be fully visible to either the front or rear camera.
- By default, the panoramic images created by the Samsung Gear 360 are a resolution of 7776 x 3888. While not absolutely necessary, we recommend a maximum resolution that is as close to 4096 x 2048 as you can achieve for a given panorama. For more information of recommended resolutions and panorama file types, please refer to our Helpdesk article, What Kinds Of Content Can Be Uploaded To Visual Vocal?